Wednesday 26 August 2020

Lockdown 2.0, day 49

 A reminder today that even quiet lockdown days can go vastly differently than planned. Caitlin and I headed to the post office today like we do most Wednesday afternoons- left home around 3. We went to the chocolate factory first to buy a few more hot chocs to send to friends, and get a DIY chocolate spoon kit for ourselves, so we can make our own interesting hot chocolate blends. Caitlin had to go in and the buy the items as she was the one who’d be going in to the post office - when she walked in she was the only person in the showroom, which was really strange as normally it’s so crowded!  We went on to the post office and Caitlin sent off all our care packages, then she went to the IGA to get a couple of things. When she got back the car wouldn’t start. I tried to use my jump starter with no luck. I rang Tony and he said he could come and jumpstart us - it was 4.15 so we just had to wait until he finished work at 4.30 then he’d come in. In the meantime Mum has ring and I’d agreed to take Dad to the hospital tomorrow (he’s having a melanoma removed) because she wasn’t allowed in or to hang around, so it was easiest if I took him in and she picked him up.

Tony arrived and the car still wouldn’t start. I called the RACV and they said someone would be there in about an hour. I said Caitlin could go home with tony but she chose to stay with me, which made the waiting easier. She got some hot chips for us to share and then we played games on Snapchat. (I think). A guy we vaguely know came past around 5.45 and offered to try to start the car - still no luck. The RACV guy arrived just before 6 and after trying several things said the battery was fine and he thought it was the starter and I’d have to get towed. We had a very confusing conversation about where I should be towed to but eventually agreed to take it to my mechanic in Healesville. He rang the tow truck and we settled in to wait some more. Caitlin went and got me chips and chocolate from the IGA - after we discovered that my window wouldn’t go back up - the RACV guy had put it down when the door was open, which caused it to come off it’s track (happens occasionally, but not for over 2 years) and itMs impossible to put it up. When the tow truck manager rang I told him what had happened and he said they’d store the car at their depot overnight and drop it at the mechanics in the morning, so the window wasn’t a problem. I rang tony to come and pick us up, and ask if I could use his car to take dad to hospital, then Mum rang to say that she WAS allowed to go in to the hospital tomorrow, so I didn’t need to come. Caitlin ordered burgers and chips for dinner (not from her fish and chip shop, it’s still closed), the tow truck arrived, tony arrived and we transferred all my crap to his car, and we were finally home a bit after 7pm. Exhausted but feeling less frustrated once I was safely home. 

I had a hot bath and didn’t really do anything else all evening, didn’t have the energy. Hoping my car will be fixed easily and quickly, although it doesn’t matter too much at the moment since I rarely go out 

No comments:

Post a Comment