Saturday 16 August 2014

Why am I writing?

I haven't written anything for a while - partly because our computer died and it's easier to type on the computer than the iPad, and then I got out of the habit of writing each day or even every few days - and partly because I started to wonder a lot about what I SHOULD be writing - and the more I thought about it, the less able to I was to write anything...

I kept thinking, on and off, that my blog should (there's that word again - I really try not to use it much, it's usually a warning sign of anxiety pending when it pops up) have an obvious purpose - am I using it to record what we do each day, or to report on themes that we're exploring, or to express my philosophical views on parenting or education or unschooling... And who is my audience - am I writing for myself, or my kids, or my friends and family, or for the general public... And so every time I decided to write something I would worry that it didn't fit with the purpose of my blog or my intended audience (and I still didn't know what either of those were...) so the blog post idea wouldn't make it out of my head. 

Oh and another thing that slowed me down a bit was that when I was writing every day, I found myself, whatever we were doing during the day, thinking about how I would blog about it. Which sometimes took me away from enjoying the fun in the moment.

So I've decided to stop thinking about it, and just to write. To write what feels most appropriate on the day. And to write for myself, mainly, and then to share it with whoever wants to read it. So my blog may look like a mish-mash of purposes - which it isn't really. It's purpose is for me to write and share my world, and that can be shared in lots and lots of ways. And to practice my writing which makes me happy! And to help me examine my self and my parenting and our unschooling family and find out ways I can improve and bring more joy into our lives every day. 



P.S. I have changed the comments setting so that you don't have to sign in to comment on a post (I think). I'd love for people to comment on my posts - let me know if you try anytime and it doesn't work....

No comments:

Post a Comment