Wednesday 10 February 2016

Getting ready for camping

Up earlyish again yesterday, and Amelie woke not too long after me. She wanted to watch Tinkerbell (the original movie) in my room so I moved my computer in there and watched with her while I checked my email. By the time the movie was finished the other kids were up, and she asked to watch it again on the big TV and they all watched it together. LiAM also played Jetpack Joyride, and they all played games on the Cool-maths-games site.

I finished pickling my parsnip, and did dishes and washing and general tidying, with an eye to getting ready for homeschool camp today. I started making a pile of stuff to take, and checked things in the trailer, and did a lot of mental planning - I think most of the work of packing for me is deciding what to take and what to pack it in, and I do that best by letting it percolate around in my head while I'm doing other things. Then I end up with a pretty complete list and plan, and when it comes time to actually do the packing it doesn't take very long. My anxiety about getting ready kicks in when I don't let that process take place naturally - when I start trying to physically pack before I've done enough of the mental work.

After lunch we went over to the H's for the kids to have a play and me to have a cuppa and a chat with L. Amelie and J played with duplo, LiAM and A played in the hammock and on the trampoline and some Minecraft, Caitlin played with O and helped out where needed. I left the kids there and took H for a driving lesson - we went to Lilydale for me to get groceries for the camping trip, then she drove all the way to Greensborough for me to pay for and pick up some camping beds I'd bought, then she drove back to Healesville - a huge drive, in fairly heavy traffic at times, and she managed beautifully. L met me at karate with my kids and she took H home.

I'd considered skipping karate because we had such a busy afternoon, then decided to go anyway because I love it so much and feel so good when I'm there. I'm glad we did go, it was enjoyable and it's great exercise and I learnt some new things, and realised how much I have already learnt which is a fantastic feeling. The kids really enjoyed it too and they are improving all the time.

After karate we came home and the kids played a bit more of the Cool-math-games, I did a bit more organising for camping, we had an easy tea (toasted sandwiches), and watched Big Bang Theory and Auction Hunters and Here Come the Habibs. I didn't really want to watch it as I feel like it's playing into stereotypes, Caitlin was so keen to see it that I agreed to check it out. Some of my concerns were justified, but it was quite enjoyable....

Tony had come home from work completely exhausted so had a shower and a quick bite to eat then straight to bed. I went not long afterwards and the kids played maths games for a bit longer before heading off themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment