Wednesday 10 October 2012

Music Time

Yesterday we went to Music in Yarra Glen. 

When we first moved to this area, Music was the first social activity we went to (we'd been do the park the day after we arrived from NSW, and a 3 year old started chatting to me, so I talked to his Mum and she told me about Music, and we went the next day). I met a lot of my local friends there, and we went more weeks than not for about 3 years. Then in the year after Millie was born I cut a lot of activities out because we were all so overwhelmed and tired, and other things took the place of Music.

Towards the end of last term I had 3 separate conversations with people who suggested I come back to Music. I also found out that a friend I'd been trying to catch up with for ages, who is also homeschooling her kids, has started going again (we met there 6 years ago). So I figured it was time to try it again - and it seems to fit into our week more easily this term, we don't have anything regular on Tuesdays so we're a bit more open to going if we can. Caitlin was very excited at the thought of returning - she has missed it at times.

So we rocked up and were met at the door by June and Heather - who were the ladies who ran it when we first started going, it was like we never left! And its still only $7 per family/week, which makes it one of the best value activities we go to. When we went in, there were 4 families there who used to go when we used to go, plus 3 other families who we have met since, so we knew just about everyone, and the teacher was Liam's Kindergarten teacher for a term so we knew her as well. The big 2 fitted in straight away, Millie was a bit overwhelmed by the number of people I think and wasn't quite sure what was going on - she joined in for about half the songs and sat curled in my lap for the rest of the time. 

I had wondered if it would feel too 'young' for Caitlin at least (its aimed at 0-5 year olds) but she loved it all and joined in every song. Liam loved the chance to play instruments as loud as he possibly could and when he wasn't sure about an activity he joined in in his own way.

At the end, Cathy asked if there were any songs that anyone wanted to sing before we left. Liam asked for the Collingwood Song (for those who don't know, all the football teams in the AFL (Australian Football League) have a theme song which is sung when they win a game - Tony and the kids are Collingwood Magpies supporters (I want to put in a link to the song but my internet is so slow this morning I can't find one - I'll try to come back and add the link later) Cathy looked surprised then launched straight into the song, with Liam singing along. She faltered after a line or 2, so Liam continued solo and sang the rest of the song himself, loudly and with gusto. Caitlin then asked to sing her wombat song which she composed, and sang it solo (although rather quietly).

One of the things that people worry about with the kids being homeschooled is that won't get the opportunity to perform in public, or feel comfortable speaking (or singing!) in front of others. I love that my kids constantly show me that there's no need to listen to fears like that - they have the confidence to perform in public whenever they have something they want to perform!

After Music was finished we all went to the hall for some lunch and play. My kids played with the other homeschooling family and are very keen to get together again for more play time - great to have more local friends now who may be available during school hours. I was able to chat with several friends who I hadn't seen for a while and we all left feeling socially satisfied. And since it is a pay as you go activity I'm feeling very excited about the possibility of going on the weeks we feel like it and having no pressure to go on the weeks when it feels too hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment