Wednesday 25 February 2015

Birthday parties and days at home

I definitely think this year is going to be easier than last year - I seem to have a better handle on an active/resting balance, and we're not rushing around much at all. I also think I'll be better at saying no when new opportunities come up, if those opportunities are going to have a high energy cost. Or saying yes, while reorganising some other things so that we can do the new thing and not be worn out by still trying to do everything else.

Last week we seemed to find a good balance of being out and being at home. Monday I had an appointment in Healesville, so we met some friends at the library and the kids played with them while I did my thing, then we all went to Queens Park, rode scooters and Ripstik and had a paddle in the creek. Once our friends left we called in to Healesville Pool - I didn't feel up to swimming so I put Millie's backpack on her and the 3 kids had a fun swim while I watched. I had felt too tired to go but by not swimming myself it was actually quite manageable, and we managed grocery shopping afterwards without any stress.

Tuesday we spent at home, watching movies, playing Minecraft, playing lego, playing the piano, playing snakes and ladders and ludo and chinese checkers (by the usual rules and by Millie's made up on the go rules - both were really fun). It was an unexpected day at home, we did originally have plans to visit a friend, which didn't work out, and I'm glad in the end that we had the down time.

Wednesday was my nephew's 1st birthday. We went to Lilydale to buy his birthday present (a helmet to wear when he uses the Balance Bike his parents gave him, and a book each from the kids) and to get pokemon card starter kits for my kids - they had saved up half the money each and I happily provided the other half so that they each got a kit and their games can be more meaningful. Then into my sister's place to hang out for a bit and give T his presents, had birthday cake, then we all (including Mum and Dad) went to a Greek restaurant for dinner. I've been meaning to show F how to wrap T on her back, so I put him on my back for the walk to the restaurant (I love having a baby on my back, and he was quite happy as long as he could see his mummy) and she wore him home. The meal was delicious and it was great having some family time all together (minus Tony though cos he was at work). Back to F's where we chatted and the kids played Pokemon and then home once T went to bed.

Thursday we had Homeschool Group in Yarra Glen. Quite a few families there again, and we did water activities on a hot sunny day. We transferred water between 2 glasses using nothing but paper towel, and then experimented with how it was different if we put food dye in the water (it seemed to go at slightly different speeds). We filled glasses with water and put cardboard on top and flipped them over - and the cardboard stayed on! And we made the water life cycle in a bag - coloured water in ziplock bags which then got taped to a window and you can see evaporation, condensation and precipitation. The kids also played board games, did some craft, rode scooters, played on the swings, played on their iPads and chatted a lot. (The parents chatted a lot too). My kids and I had chicken bread rolls in the park for dinner, then went to karate. Millie wasn't keen to go this week then changed her mind at the last minute, and joined in for a few minutes. I was going to sit out with her but a friend stayed to watch so I was able to participate which was great because I enjoy it so much.

Friday we had a very restful day at home, playing iPad games and watching movies, then we took Caitlin to her first acting class of the year. We dropped her off, where she was very excited to see all her friends again, then the other 2 and I went to Croydon to get dim sims, spring rolls, yoghurt and M&Ms for dinner. We did a little bit of shopping - including at The Full Pantry, my favourite whole foods shop, which was unexpectedly still open so I was able to stock up on things I'd run out of - then went to Croydon library. We finished our food in the park out the front, then spent an hour and a half in the library, watching youtube videos, reading, playing on the computer, borrowing books etc. Picked Caitlin up - she had a wonderful time and enjoyed being in the Intermediate Training group this year instead of Juniors - and home to read some more of Eragon and eventually go to sleep.

Saturday I had a doctor's appointment and a friend came over to be with the kids while I went - she and her kids stayed all day and it was lovely, we hadn't had much time to chat lately and it was great to really catch up, and the kids all played well all day - Terraria, Minecraft, Lego, on the swings, Pokemon, with soft toys etc. Tony actually was home before dark - the first time in 2 weeks, it was a very pleasant surprise to have him around for some of the evening.

Sunday we had a birthday party to go to and for various reasons I hadn't bought presents or organised costumes for the Minecraft theme yet - so we went to Lilydale (Tony had a day off for the first time in 2 weeks and Millie stayed home with him) and got LiAM a Diamond Sword (made of foam) and light blue top/dark blue pants so that he could be Steve from Minecraft. Caitlin bought cat's ears and tail so she could be an ocelot, and we got a dragon costume for Millie. Home and then quickly into costume - Millie was way too hot in her costume on a 36 degree day (I thought she would be, but felt much happier in providing her the costume and letting her make the choice rather than making it for her) so she changed into a skirt with flowers on it and decided she could be a Minecraft Rose. The party was at Hedge End Maze and theire were lots of organised, Minecraft themed, activities for the kids to do, and a great Minecraft cake (made by the birthday boy's dad) and despite the heat everyone had a great time. After the party we stayed at the venue for a while and did some of the mazes and puzzles ourselves, then headed home for a very quiet evening

No comments:

Post a Comment